What is DHEA?
DHEA or dehydroepiandrosterone is a steroid hormone that the body produces to create male and female hormones. It is secreted by the adrenal glands.
DHEA hormone levels in the body tends to peak in our twenties and decline as we get older. People who have diseases such as type 2 diabetes, AIDS, osteoporosis, heart disease, anorexia and adrenal disorders have been shown to have lower levels of the hormone in their system lending credence to the value of its use against the aging process. All of these facts have led to DHEA getting quite a bit of focus for having potential in reducing the signs of aging. For this reason it’s become a popular hormonal supplement and been linked with helping disorders such as lupus
How Does DHEA Help?
Androgens are the hormones in a man which determine his masculinity, DHEA is one and testosterone is another. As a man ages the levels of these hormones decline and it can have negative effects on mood, sexual vigor, and his overall health as aging takes its toll on the body. By taking DHEA as a supplement some of these effects can be slowed and possibly even negated by improved overall wellbeing and health. The fact that it is available over the counter makes it easier to use but be sure to ask your doctor what DHEA hormone levels are right for you. Hormones require a proper balance to work effectively; if you overdose on DHEA you may throw this balance out of order and cause health problems rather than help improve them.
Here are some of the Benefits of DHEA for Men:
1. Immune System: As men age blood levels decrease and DHEA production can decline with them. As the DHEA hormone levels decline, the risk of diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cancers (such as prostate) and heart disease rise. By supplementing with DHEA the risk for these diseases can be decreased and overall health and well-being can improve as well.
2. Erectile Dysfunction Remedy: The less testosterone there is in the body, the harder it can be retain sexual vigor and maintain an erection during intercourse. Improvement in testosterone levels can help overcome or reduce the incidence of erectile dysfunction.
3. Libido Booster: As men age, levels of testosterone are lowered, which can reduce sexual interest and vigor. Because DHEA is the hormone which develops into testosterone in men, it can help regulate the optimum levels of testosterone in your body and return your libido to its normal fervor.
4. Energy: Because the decline of testosterone in the body reduces the amount of muscle and tissue development and increases the levels of fat it can also leave you feeling less energetic. DHEA supplements can return some of the energy lost, by boosting the testosterone that helps build the body and energy levels.
5. Prostate Cancer Prevention: The risk of prostate cancer goes up as men age. The regulating effects of a younger body’s glands keep testosterone cycling through the system. As we age these hormones can sit in the body and cause the body to build up impurities, DHEA can get this valuable cycle functioning again.
6. Mood Stabilizer: The effects of aging can reduce muscle density and increase fat retention. In addition, it can also cause you to have issues with sexual vigor and grow hair in areas you don’t want it while reducing hair on the scalp. When coupled with a declining ability to manage stress on the body it can develop into depression. Boosted DHEA hormone levels can help you manage this stress.