9 Reasons to do Background Screening & Drug Test Before You Hire Someone to Work with Your Family
Background screening and drug testing are two things employers would often require before hiring an applicant for a job. If you want to hire someone who will work for your family, you might as well check on your applicants using these procedures. Why should you let them undergo such tests?
1. It is because children are involved. This is one of the reasons presented by Advanced Surveillance Group Inc. when it comes to the necessity of doing a background check. You need to conduct background screening for your child’s caregivers because these are individuals who your kids will soon be travelling with or spending their days with when you are off to work. Doing a background check will help you, as a parent gather the necessary information that will protect your child.
2. There is a rising incidence of threat and fraud. Sue Edwards, in her article for Searchwarp.com, mentioned that there is an increased incidence of threat and fraud in the workplace and a home is not exempted from that. You would certainly want to make sure about your family’s financial safety too (besides physical safety of course).
3. Workplace violence cannot be avoided. Edwards pointed out in the same article that homicide is ranked number 2 in terms of death occurring in the workplace. If you will not conduct a background check on your soon-to-be caregiver, there is a higher chance that such a problem may occur within your family.
4. You will learn about past records of deceitfulness. This means not only learning about whether the applicant has had records of deceiving his previous employers or not but this will assure you that he or she is not negligent in the conduct of his or her duties.
5. You cannot trust your instinct. Erika Welz Pfader mentioned in her article for Entrepreneur.com that you should not trust your instincts when it comes to employing somebody else to work for you. You cannot make your emotions supersede your thoughts in the process. Drug tests and background checks are really necessary.
6. There is also an increasing incidence of drug and alcohol related deaths. In that same article of Pfader, she mentioned that 250,000 of the annual death toll are related to substance abuse. Therefore, it is necessary to require drug testing for your caregivers.
7. This is a means to get to know your employee even before you hire him for the job. Dawn Hawkins made mention about the importance of conducting drug tests for employers. She said in her article for Associated Content that a drug test will help employers know his or her potential employee better. If the applicant resists to the drug test, you will save yourself from possibilities of hiring an employee with bad character.
8. This will help you minimize accidents and risks within your home. You would want someone who will serve you with his best foot forward. If that person has been a drug user for a long time, then there is a tendency he will not carry on his tasks properly. It will cause more risks of destruction to your property.
9. You want to make sure that your newly-hired employee can perform well for the job you entrust to him. Nannies or caregivers will often look over the welfare of your family members. A drug test is thereby necessary to make sure they can perform their duties accordingly.
These are 9 reasons why background screening or drug testing should be done before you hire somebody else to work for your family. You should then make sure your applicants will undergo these processes.
This Article is written by Lena Butler, contributor of Health & Drug Testing Information Center.