In New Jersey, the Bergen-Passaic region is identified as a Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area or PMSA within the Greater New York Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area. This means that the Bergen-Passaic Area is among the major urban centers of the New York Metropolitan Area. The county seat of Bergen is Hackensack while for Passaic, the county capital is Paterson, both of which are the largest cities in their respective counties.
Bergen and Passaic counties are located at the upper northeast corner of the State of New Jersey. Bergen has a population count of 895,744 and is the most populated county of New Jersey. Passaic has about 492,115 as of the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimate. The total population for the Bergen-Passaic PMSA is nearly 1.4 million. That is nearly 16% of the number of people living in the entire State of New Jersey.
Almost 80% of the residents in the Bergen-Passaic PMSA are Whites. Among the minorities, Asians rank first numbering at 10% while African-Americans comprise 8%. More than half of the population are New Jersey natives while some 28% were born outside of the United States.
In 2003, a high 34% were college graduates in Bergen-Passaic showing the areas strong ties to higher education. It is ranked 15th in educational attainment among other metropolitan areas in the United States according to Forbes List of Best Places last 2005. It is also ranked in that same list among the top 10 places with a low crime rate. In fact, Bergen in particular is among the counties that have shown decreasing crime rates in New Jersey in recent years.
Passaic County was formed from lands that used to be part of Bergen County and Essex County. It has a land area of 185.29 square miles while Bergen County has a land area measuring 234.17 square miles. The New Jersey leg of Interstate 80, which is a major artery joining the San Francisco Bay Area to New York City, is called the Bergen-Passaic Expressway.
There are five major junctions along I-80 through the Bergen-Passaic Area including junctions at Hackensack and Paterson. The other junctions are at Wayne in Passaic and for Bergen; there is Saddle Brook and the Garden State Parkway also known as Route 444, which is said to be the busiest toll highway in the United States.
The significant cultural-economic locales in the Bergen-Passaic Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area include the following:
• Edgewater is a borough of Bergen County and is the site where the first colony settled in the county. As the name suggests, Edgewater is bordered by the Hudson river and was once an ideal shipping enclave. It used to be an industrial town. Today, it is a residential and commercial center with several shopping establishments as well as historical and cultural sites such as the Edgewater Free Public Library, the Binghamton Ferry and Veteran’s Field.
• Paramus in Bergen County is considered one of the leading shopping destinations in the USA, generating as much as $5 billion in annual retail sales thanks to its accessibility afforded by the Garden State Parkway and being a principal bus route in New Jersey. Major malls in Paramus include Westfield Garden Plaza, Bergen Town Center, Fashion Center and Paramus Park.
• East Rutherford is the site of Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands Sports Complex in the northeastern corner of Bergen County. The Meadowlands Complex also houses the Meadowlands Racetrack and the Izod Center where the New Jersey Nets of the NBA have their home games. Sports is obviously the strength of East Rutherford.
• Upper Main Street/Hackensack is a portion of Main Street that functions as a downtown or primary business district for the City of Hackensack. Around 375 business establishments are based in Upper Main.
• Greater Paterson Area is a consolidated region of Paterson City and its adjacent suburbs and townships, which also includes some boroughs of Bergen County. Paterson is considered to be the “Cradle of the American Industrial Revolution” particularly the Great Falls National Historic District.
• New Jersey Highlands, also known as the New York-New Jersey Highlands is a protected land region where several municipalities of Passaic County are included. The Highlands is an important watershed for the State of New Jersey and is legally protected from industrial and urban development through the Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act. The New Jersey Highlands include Mahwah Township and Oakland in Bergen County, then for Passaic County the municipalities of Bloomingdale, Prompton Lakes, Ringwood, Wanaque and West Milford Township.
- Medical Testing Centers in Bergen-Passaic, NJ
- Drug Testing Centers in Bergen-Passaic, NJ
- Steroid Testing Centers in Bergen-Passaic, NJ
- STD / HIV Testing in Bergen-Passaic , NJ
- Drug Rehabilitation Centers in Bergen-Passaic , NJ
This information about medical testing and related health diagnostic services in the Bergen-Passaic, New Jersey region is not meant to be a complete resource. Readers of TestCountry.com are advised to undertake additional research from reliable sources. To know more about Bergen-Passaic, New Jersey medical testing facilities visit their local government websites.
- 10 Best Long-Term Rehab Centers in US for Alcohol Addiction
- 7 Most Expensive & Luxurious Drug Rehab Centers in USA
- Atlanta, Georgia Testing Guide
- Austin San Marcos, TX Testing Guide
- Baltimore Testing Guide
- Bergen-Passaic, NJ Testing Guide
- Boston Testing Guide
- Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC Testing Guide
- Chicago Testing Guide
- Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN Testing Guide
- Cleveland-Lorain-Elyria, Ohio Testing Guide
- Columbus, Ohio Testing Guide
- Dallas, Texas Testing Guide
- Denver, Colorado City Testing Guide
- Detroit, Michigan Testing Guide
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida Testing Guide
- Fort Worth – Arlington, TX Testing Guide
- Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, NC Testing Guide
- Hartford, Connecticut Testing Guide
- Houston, Texas Testing Guide
- Indianapolis, IN Testing Guide
- Kansas, Missouri City Testing Guide
- Las Vegas, NV Testing Guide
- Los Angeles – Long Beach Testing Guide
- Miami, Florida City Testing Guide
- Milwaukee-Waukesha, Wisconsin Testing Guide
- Minneapolis – St. Paul Testing Guide
- Nashville, TN Testing Guide
- Nassau – Suffolk, New York Testing Guide
- New Orleans, LA Testing Guide
- New York City Testing Guide
- Newark City, New Jersey Testing Guide
- Norfolk-Virginia Beach – Newport News, VA-NC Testing Guide
- Oakland, California City Testing Guide
- Orange County Testing Guide
- Orlando, Florida Testing Guide
- Philadelphia Testing Guide
- Phoenix Mesa, Arizona Testing Guide
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania City Testing Guide
- Portland-Vancouver, Oregon City Testing Guide
- Providence-Fall River-Warwick, RI–MA Testing Guide
- Raleigh, North Carolina Testing Guide
- Riverside – San Bernardino Testing Guide
- Sacramento, CA Testing Guide
- Salt Lake City-Ogden, UT Testing Guide
- San Antonio, Texas Testing Guide
- San Diego, California Testing Guide
- San Francisco City Testing Guide
- San Jose, CA Testing Guide
- San Juan-Bayamon City Testing Guide
- Seattle Testing Guide
- St. Louis, MO-IL Testing Guide
- Tampa, Florida Testing Guide
- Top 10 Christian Drug Rehab Centers in California
- Top 6 Christian Drug Rehab Centers in Texas
- Washington DC Testing Guide