The Philadelphia Department of Public Health is responsible for the city’s main government health services. There are several world-class health facilities located in Philadelphia. The development of biotechnology companies over the past decades has made Philadelphia the country’s premier pharmaceutical and technology center. Several reputable medical hospitals and medical facilities in the Philadelphia area include the following:
• Thomas Jefferson University Hospital formerly incorporated with the Thomas Jefferson University has expanded its healthcare services to the Philadelphia community through a merger with Methodist Hospital as a division, establishing the Jefferson HealthCARE and clinical specialties in Center City Philadelphia and Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience. Being an academic health center, Jefferson University Hospital provides a variety of quality medical services with an accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and a license from the Department of Health of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
111 S 11th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 955-6000
• The Hahnemann University Hospital is affiliated with the Drexel University College of Medicine and specializes in cardiac services for heart failure and transplant; medical, surgical and radiation oncology; bariatrics, renal dialysis, and kidney, liver and pancreas transplantation; orthopedics and bone marrow transplant; and women’s health. It was awarded with the ‘2008 Circle of Excellence’ by the Tenet Healthcare Corporation for its excellent rating in clinical services.
230 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19102
Phone: (215) 762-7000
Fax: (215) 762 8109
Email address: Lila.Ivey@tenethealth.com
Toll free number: (866) 884-4484
• The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania has been recognized as one of the best medical hospitals in the country today. Accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, it has made several early contributions and discoveries to improve the nations’ healthcare programs such as dermatology, neurosurgery, ophthalmology and radiology. This medical facility continues to provide quality patient care, education and research programs to Philadelphia residents.
3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: (215) 662-4000
Toll Free number: (800) 789-7366
• St. Christopher’s Hospital offers pediatric medical services with utmost quality and cost-effective care. It also delivers quality patient care through its highly trained physicians and medical staff and nurses, as it also has an academic affiliation with Drexel University College of Medicine and the Temple University School of Medicine. St. Christopher Hospital provides pediatric medical and surgical services for traumas, kidney transplantations, cancer treatment, burns and wound care, minimal invasive surgeries, and open heart surgeries.
3601 A St, Philadelphia, PA 19134
Phone: (215) 427-5000
• The Albert Einstein Medical Center is a part of the Albert Einstein Healthcare Network and a teaching medical facility that offers a wide range of advanced healthcare services such as behavioral health, geriatric services, cardiac care, kidney and liver diseases and transplantations, neurosurgery, orthopedics and women’s and children’s services. Einstein Medical Center has expert care doctors and specialists and affiliated physicians in many specialty areas.
5501 Old York Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19141
Phone: (215) 456-7890
• Einstein Center One offers primary care for residents in the Northeast Philadelphia area including Lower Bucks and Montgomery Counties. It has also expanded its outpatient surgery services which includes breast surgery; ear, nose and throat surgeries; gastroenterology; general surgeries; gynecology; ophthalmology; orthopedics; pain management; and urology. This health facility is also conveniently located and accessible to major public transportation routes.
9880 Bustleton Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19115
Phone: (215) 827-1600
• The Germantown Community Health Services is a division of the Albert Einstein Medical Center that provides first-rate primary medical services in the Northwest Philadelphia areas. It offers advanced levels of patient care such as labor and delivery services, medical emergencies, heart surgery, and radiation therapy for cancer patients. Other medical services delivered at Germantown Community Health Services include diagnostic neurology services, gastroenterology, outpatient surgery and dialysis, physical, occupational and speech therapies, pulmonary testing and radiology. All these are given by reputable medical specialists.
One Penn Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19144
Phone: (215) 951-8000
• Einstein at Elkins Park is a general acute care facility that offers a wide range of comprehensive medical programs and services specializing in cardiac services, orthopedics and gastrointestinal diagnosis and treatment. Elkins Park also offers laparoscopic general and orthopedic surgery and plastic or reconstructive surgery. Outpatient health services include urological surgery, gynecological surgery, dental surgery, ear, nose and throat surgeries, chronic pain procedures and gastrointestinal surgery. They also deliver a full range of imaging services such as general radiography, fluoroscopy, mammography, CAT scan, MRI, ultrasound, vascular lab and interventional radiology. Elkins Park also offers a variety of clinical testing procedures including chemistry, hematology, urinalysis and microbiology tests.
60 Township Line Road
Elkins Park, PA 19027
Phone: (215) 663-6000
These are just few of the medical hospitals and healthcare facilities in the Philadelphia area where one can have a general check-up. These medical centers do offer basic medical tests and diagnostic measures such as cholesterol, diabetes, cardiac and thyroid testing to determine one’s health condition. Although patients have access to these medical tests in hospitals and healthcare centers, there are some cases wherein constant monitoring of a health condition is needed like in the case of diabetes. However, there are several available home testing kits such as Tetscountry home kits that are FDA-approved and have passed safety and quality standards. Testcountry Diabetes Testing provides timely, accurate results at the convenience of one’s own home. Other available Testcountry home testing kits can be found in their website at Testcountry.com.