What Are the Classifications of Drugs in Substance Abuse?
Drugs are prevalent in the nation today, but it is with the adamant efforts of law enforcement and drug testing employers that drug abuse will be dramatically reduced. In order for this to occur, however, it is always a good idea to classify drugs so that keeping tabs on the types of drugs used most often, the best testing methods and such are kept on record.
Drugs by Drug Classification
- Club Drugs: These drugs are a part of the “club scene” and are used to increase stamina. Examples include MDMA (Ecstasy), Ketamine (Special K) and methamphetamine (mAMP).
- CNS Depressants: Central Nervous System Depressants slow bodily function and activity. Examples include barbiturates, benzodiazepines and Valium.
- Narcotics: Narcotic drugs are derived from opium and opium derivatives. Examples include methadone, morphine and heroin.
- Hallucinogens: These drugs cause altered states of perception. Examples include mescaline, LSD and MDMA.
- Inhalants: These are psychoactive drugs that are found in common household cleaners and products. Examples include paint thinner, glue and nail polish remover.
- Anabolic Steroids: Anabolic steroids contain chemicals that are similar to testosterone and is used to increase muscle mass.
- Stimulants: These are substances that speed up the activity in the brain. Examples include cocaine, amphetamines and methamphetamine.
Drugs by Drug Type
It can be helpful to know the different types of drugs in order to know the kind of drug test to purchase. Drug types include:
- Tricycline Antidepressants
Drugs by Drug Testing Method
You can find drug tests for all of the aforementioned tests in several different types. The drug testing methods you can consider include:
- Urine drug testing
- Saliva drug testing
- Hair drug testing
- Drug identification testing