Helping Your Teen Overcome Steroid Abuse
Steroid abuse in teens can be a frightening thought to many parents. Not only because their kids’ academics is can be at stake but more so because of the dangerous side effects that can be brought about by steroid use. It would take more than a series of lectures to be able to help your teen overcome steroid abuse. There are effective and helpful means to motivate your child to stop the abuse and enable them to get help. If you suspect that your child is using steroids, the first thing that they need to be assured of is your support as a parent to help them get through with their situation.
Here are practical tips that can help you as a parent and your child overcome teen steroid abuse:
• Stay informed and updated. As a parent, you have to understand that their generation is different from yours. It may not be easy to connect with your teen’s interest and concerns, but you can keep yourself informed about what’s going on in their world, and oftentimes, teens would be hesitant to try anabolic steroids if they know that you have an idea about the issue.
• Understand the needs of your child. You won’t be surprised that the concerns of your teen were actually your concerns when you were at that stage. Physical appearance, peer pressure, and the opposite sex are the same things that are in the minds of today’s young people. However, kids nowadays do have more access to drugs, which includes anabolic steroids. They can easily avail steroids online and become an easy target for steroid abuse. That is why as a parent, you also need to be on guard with how much your child gets exposed to various market and consumer goods on the web.
• Confront your child before it gets worse. The world we live in at present hails instant gratification. This entices many teens to try using anabolic steroids to boost their self-esteem, oftentimes at the expense of their health. Part of being a parent is being able to confront the child in such a way that the kid will be able to understand that the correction is for his or her own good.
• Be a formidable presence in your child’s life. Teens often look for role models and too often they look for it at the wrong places. There are millions of influences that can shape your teen’s mind. The focus on the physical and the goal to win at all cost are common mindsets that are fed by media. Letting your teen know and allowing him to see that you are there can outweigh any negative influence that he might receive.
• Another thing that can allow your kid to overcome teen steroid abuse is to promote your child’s self-esteem more often as possible. You can encourage your child to live a healthy lifestyle by participating with him like when he does exercise or during practice. Instill a healthy body image and positive words that can encourage him. Give your child generous compliments and lay a solid, healthy foundation in your child’s’ life
• Probably the easiest way to determine the truth from your child is to obtain steroid abuse test. Although this can likely cause friction in your relationship, you need to take your ground and allow him to see that this is about his safety. You can talk to your child about the seriousness of steroid use or let a doctor explain to him the serious effects of anabolic steroids. Keep reaching out to your child and emphasize his need to get medical help.