You really would not think that some celebrities have food allergies from the way they look on the silver screen, on TV and on their pictures. But believe it or not, under the flawless façade that they maintain, some of them suffer from food allergies just like ordinary people do.
We are talking about celebrities who have actually been diagnosed with food allergies, and not about celebrities suffering from the effects of trend dieting or celebrities who are nothing but attention-mongers. Who are these celebrities with genuine food allergies? Here are seven of them.
1. Clay Aiken. Clay Aiken, one of the more successful contestants in the long-running talent search American Idol, is now a regular face on theaters in Broadway. He has a long list of food allergies, among which are mint, shellfish, tree nuts, mushrooms and chocolate.
2. Drew Barrymore. The luscious-lipped Hollywood star first got her taste of superstardom as a child actress in the classic science fiction flick E.T. Now that she has grown up, she has proved that she is just as good as the rest of the members of the Barrymore acting clan, with blockbuster hits such as The Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates, Donnie Darko and Charlie’s Angels. Drew Barrymore’s food allergy list includes garlic and coffee.
3. Halle Berry. Halle Berry made movie history when she became the first woman of African-American descent to win the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in Monster Ball in 2001. It is interesting to note that one of her acclaimed roles was that of Dorothy Dandridge, the first African-American woman to have been nominated for the same award that Halle won. Halle is allergic to shrimp.
4. Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Elisabeth Hasselbeck first caught the attention of TV viewers as a participant in Survivor: The Australian Outback. She did not win the contest, but she went on to host The Look for Less and to co-host The View. In The View, she is known for her conservative stance on issues and has gotten into remarkable arguments with other co-hosts such as Whoopi Goldberg and Rosie O’Donnell. Elisabeth lives with celiac disease, which makes her allergic to wheat.
5. Ray Romano. Ray Romano is one of the most sought-after writers and stand-up comedians in Hollywood in recent years. He is most known for playing Raymond Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond, and for providing the voice of Manny the Mammoth in the 3D animation trilogy Ice Age. He is afflicted with a peanut allergy, one of the most common food allergies.
6. Billy Bob Thornton. This actor, musician and award-winning writer is known to us through movies like Sling Blade, Armageddon, Monster’s Ball, Bad News Bears and Mr. Woodcock. An eccentric person, he was also known for being once married to another eccentric person, none other than Angelina Jolie. His food allergies are wheat, shellfish and dairy products.
7. Serena Williams. Serena Williams is regarded as one of the best female players to grace the tennis courts all over the world in the modern era of the game. She has many titles stringing her belt, among which are ten Grand Slam singles titles and two Olympic medals. Her rivalry with her sister Venus Williams is one of the hottest in the tennis circuit. What is Serena allergic to? Just like Ray Romano, she cannot eat peanuts.