Top 10 Most Addictive Websites on the Internet
People turn to the web for a variety of reasons including social networking, information research, entertainment, social buzz, work, and online education. According to a 2011 survey, the United States ranked third among the countries that have the highest number of Internet users. A separate study conducted by the Harvard University’s McLean Hospital revealed that 5% to 10% of web surfers suffer from web dependence.
Some websites are addictive in nature. Web dependence can bring detrimental effects to an individual’s daily work and social life. If you want to know whether or not you are suffering from web dependence you can take a self-administered Internet addiction test. Although not yet considered a diagnosable condition, Internet addiction has been used with similar meaning to web dependence over the past few years.
Below are the top 10 most addictive websites. They are classified by different communities on the Internet as Safe for Work (SFW), Somewhat Safe for Work (SSFW), Very Safe for Work (VSFW, and Not Safe for Work (NSFW).
1. Bro Tips (SFW) – This website features humorous quotes and advices for men who want to improve themselves. Bro Tips advices are very applicable for men between 30 and 40 years old.
2. Pinterest (SFW) – This website is a virtual pin board that allows you to organize and share interesting photos, as well as communicate with other people across the globe. Some of the favorite themes on Pinterest include stunning nature scenes, high fashion, enchanting animals, culinary masterpieces, and delicious food experimentations.
3. Facebook (SSFW)- Launched in 2004, Facebook is a social networking service that allows the users to update status, post compelling pictures, and chat with friends. In 2012, Facebook has already reached 500 million active users worldwide. The website is open to individuals who are 13 years old and above. Teens that use Facebook more than usual have higher tendency of getting addicted to it. There are online addiction tests you can take to assess whether or not you are experiencing web dependence.
4. I Waste So Much Time (SSFW) – This website displays the funniest pictures any person can ever imagine. Although the website’s name sounds like an understatement, I Waste So Much Time is a harmless place online for people who are looking for fun and entertainment.
5. The Chive (SFW)–This website is all about random but interesting news. Sample posts include photos and video blogs that can draw curiosity from the audience, such as photos featuring unbelievable experiences and adventures.
6. Attack of the Cute (VSFW) – This website is a photo blog that aims to please the visitors by featuring photos of cute animals. Individuals around the globe are welcome to contribute different photos of their cute pets; e.g. cats, rabbits, ferrets, and more. Attack of the Cute also functions as a virtual zoo for both members and visitors.
7. Spoiled Photos (NSFW) – This is another photo blog that showcases photos from the different contributors worldwide. However, unlike other photo blogs, Spoiled Photos features disastrous and outlandish images. Some photos are comical but are still horrific in nature, which makes the site not work friendly.
8. Dear Blank: Please Blank (SFW) – This website features touching letters that are truly written by different people around the world. It serves as an outlet for people to write something about their bizarre human experiences and confessions towards another person. Samples include letter from a gay son to his mother and letter from a rejected lover to his ex-girlfriend.
9. Wonder How To (SFW) – This site is a community-developed website that features instructional video guide on how to do a variety of remarkable and spectacular things, such as how to cut a bottle of beer in half, how to turn your car into an armored tank, and how to levitate a Zippo flame.
10. People of Walmart (NSFW) – This website is another photo blog that features funny, candid photos of different costumers in Walmart. Featured photos range from being extremely humorous to shocking to slightly humiliating. However, this site is still visited by millions of Internet users who want to have clean fun looking at crazy pictures
The websites on the Internet serve different purposes. Some websites aim to connect people, while others are used for advertising businesses. There are websites that are primarily geared at amusing people by introducing appealing features and widgets, causing people to spend more time online. Internet addiction or web dependence can be dangerous when it begins to interfere with the person’s daily life. If your excessive Internet usage is already affecting your work and social life, you may take an Internet addiction self test to assess your symptoms. If your test score reveals a problem with Internet addiction you may decide to set up an appointment with professional counselor.