Toxic Black Mold: Sign & Symptoms of Black Mold Poisoning
Toxic black molds also as known as mildew is a type of fungi primarily breeds in damp places. They are formed through a mixture of poor quality indoor air, moist, dust, and humid temperature and are characterized by their dark and spongy texture covering the surfaces of different materials like walls and woods which were ones exposed to water; worn out clothes that have dried without being exposed to the sun; spoiling food, and the inside of air conditioners. Black molds typically belong to the Stachybotrys chartarum genus which is known to be toxic.
The growth of black molds basically starts from moist surfaces and are detectable by the yellowish stain that later on turns to a greenish, brownish, or blackish patterns on dark and damp areas of the house. These infected areas do not usually smell good.
At the first sign of black mold growth, the need to remove it must be a high priority. Although they may seem lifeless, they are the chief cause of allergic reactions to hypersensitive dwellers in the house. The Volatile Organic Compounds that black molds consist can also cause poisoning to an individual. VOCs are man-made and naturally occurring chemical compounds that are at its highest concentration when inside the house. Depending on the length of exposure, black molds can cause long term health effects to the respiratory system and nervous system.
Persons with low immune systems are the most likely to be infected with black mold toxins. The symptoms of black mold poisoning are closely associated with allergic reactions, mycotoxin toxicity and fungal infection. The following table shows the signs and symptoms in humans brought by the exposure to toxic black molds.
wheezing and choking
cold and flu like symptoms,
sore throat and dry cough,
pulmonary edema, nose bleed
|Black molds contain mycotoxins that are dangerous to the lungs when inhaled. They basically blocked air passage and cause breathing problems, nasal congestion, and worst bleeding in the lungs.|
|itching, dryness of skin,
open skin sores and lacerations
open sores on head, dermatitis
acne and bruising easily
jaundice (yellowing of skin)
|Mycotoxins usually settles or sticks on the moistly or sweaty parts of the skin; for instance in the armpit or when a person have had a strenuous activity which triggers sweating. When this happens, Mycotoxins creates rashes and various chemical reactions on skin.|
|cholesterol or triglycerides
irregularities, heart damage
irregular blood clotting processes,
hemorrhage, bone marrow disruption
|When mycotoxins are ingested or absorbed by the skin or eyes they eventually find their way to the person’s blood. This may lead to damage in the heart; problems with blood clotting that may result to internal hemorrhage.|
|Immunosuppression||Mycotoxins in black molds suppress the immune system which then causes it to be low resistant to illnesses and diseases.|
fetal development problems
|Mycotoxins are known to be teratogenic, a certain chemical that disturbs the growth and development of the fetus. This then cause defects on the fetus as well as mutation in the RNA and DNA.|
brain fog, shortened attention span
slowed reflexes, dementia
Impaired learning ability
shock, anxiety, depression,
seizure, numbness, mood swings
|Black molds basically contains
a type of toxin that destroys
neurons in the brain which
Is important in maintaining a
Person’s sharp mental ability.
|eye inflammation and soreness
red or bloodshot eyes
|Some mycotoxins exist together or are blown by the air. Eye exposure to such will cause irritation which makes it look inflamed, yellowish or teary.|
muscle pain, chest pain
joint pain, Malaise
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
|The sedative known as Chloral Hydrate which is released by the black molds creates fatigue in a person overly exposed to it. This causes muscles and joints to sore and become tender leading to muscle and joint pain.|
The symptoms of black mold poisoning vary in every person. Children and older individuals with low immune system are basically the ones who are easily affected by such. The effect that human may get from black molds is cancer especially when exposed to the Aspergillus mold that are typically found in compost and fallen leaves. This contains the carcinogen known as aflatoxins which at short time exposure, any person may suddenly be placed at high risk for liver cancer and mental impairment.