Why Choose Non-Alcohol, Non-Animal Product Make-Up
People nowadays are very conscious on how they look. Having the best image is very important to most of them especially those who are in the entertainment world. Women are of course the number one user of such products particularly cosmetics to enhance their image. Men nowadays are also vain when it comes to their looks. Having a good projection and image, it will increase self-esteem, self-confidence and enhanced attitude like interpersonal relationship towards other people. Just as the old saying “When you look good, you feel good”, this greatly affects individuals’ personalities. The use of cosmetics is very wide and accepted worldwide targeting gender, males and females. The face is a very delicate and sensitive part of the body. The skin on the face is different from the body’s skin. These cosmetics, well most of them are made from chemicals that can be irritating to the skin and worst, can cause sensitivities and allergic reactions knowing that the skin has the ability to absorb such ingredients. Here are some reasons why you should avoid using cosmetics that contains alcohol and other animal products.
1. There is a wide variety of cosmetics that contains different kinds of alcohol and this ingredient can cause severe dryness and irritation to the skin. If you have problems with pimples and dry skin, avoid cosmetics that contain SD Alcohol, Alcohol, Ethanol, Ethyl Alcohol, Methanol, Isopropyl Alcohol and Alcohol Denat as the first 5 ingredients of your make-up.
2. Bad types of alcohol that are not suitable with your skin can cause dryness, irritation and inflammation. They say that there are alcohols that can steal the natural oil of the skin even to those that has oily skin, making the skin to secrete more oil. Alcohol can cause your acne to become more severe. Alcohol can cause inflammation, thus inflaming the acne while drying the topmost layer of the skin. The dryness will harm the skin by altering the normal shedding of the skin and keeping the pores open. Dry skin will also makes your wrinkles more visible.
3. Some cosmetics contain animal by-products such as fats. People want to shed some fats on their body but taking-in fats through their cosmetics via skin absorption.
4. A cosmetic that uses animal products and alcohol faces a lot of criticism from the consumer market. The Muslims are not allowed and are not comfortable in wearing such products for it is against their faith. Animal supporters such as the PETA group discourage the use of cosmetics that tested animals.
There are available cosmetics available now that offers non-animal products and non-alcohol contents. Such products were screened and passed certain group of people in order for them promote it. For Muslims, cosmetics that contains “Halal” ensure the users that the product is alcohol and animal-free. They can still look good while not violating their faith. There is also Vegan cosmetics. Being Vegan means caring and helping animals rather than maintaining personal beauty. Look for a jumping bunny logo to your cosmetics showing that the product is free from animal testing. For Hebrews, the Kosher symbols are used in the products. Kosher symbols represent that a product has been seen and passed through a rabbi ensuring that the product was manufactured conforming to the Hebrew laws.
Here are the top 5 brands according to PETA that offers non-alcohol and non-animal testing:
Top 5 brands that offers no-animal testing and safe cosmetics
1. Aveda- winner of several PETA awards for cruelty-free products. Some of its cosmetics include lip and cheek color made with plant-derived pigments, mineral make-up foundation and thickening mascara with moss.
2. Burt’s Bees- the company’s products are free from petrochemicals, sulfates, parabens and phthalates and they never tested on animals.
3. Everyday Minerals- the company manufactures organic, vegan, eco-friendly and never tested on animals. Their foundation, blush, eye color, lip color and more are naturally derived and do not contain any fragrances or dyes. They promised to use only cosmetic and food-grade ingredients that have been evaluated by the human and volunteers. They also signed the Leaping Bunny Organization, ensuring that they will never do animal testing.
4. Kiss My Face- the company is also a supporter of the Leaping Bunny Organization. They support the creation of environmentally responsible products that are safe, natural and effective. Some of their products are tinted moisturizers, organic shines and shimmers, cheek color and lip balms.
5. The Body Shop- the company offers a variety of cruelty-free cosmetics including mineral make-up, mascara, nail polish and more. Now the company is under L’Oreal, a company known to test on animals, The Body Shop still maintains its strict standards against animal testing.